My friends Ruth and Kaye and I have made it a bit of a habit of late to meet for dinner and a movie on Friday evenings. I confess it’s a lovely way to end the week. But at $10.75 a pop, I can’t make it too regular of a habit. But we did go see X-Men: First Class a couple weeks ago. It was so worth the ticket price.
I think it only fair to say that I am not a comic book nerd, and I wouldn’t know if they changed anything–even significantly. What I do know is good storytelling. And my boy James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender made this story come alive. They were superb as Charles Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr (Magneto) respectively. Of course, I’m predisposed to love anything staring JMcAvoy (should I just start calling him J-mac for short?), but this really was a good movie.
In keeping with some recent lists (and borrowing format from my hero, Jenny B. Jones), here are my 7 favorite things about the movie.
1. It co-stars the girl that’s going to be Katniss Everdeen in the Hunger Games movie next year.
2. Before the Beast is a beast, he’s just a nerd. A really smart one.
3. Erik and Charles have a wonderful bromance that just makes me smile.
4. I didn’t once look at Erik and think about Rochester from Jane Eyre (even though he was great in that, too).
5. January Jones was only in it for like 8 minutes. (She’s not my favorite.)
6. There were some EXCELLENT cameos. That’s all I’ll say about that.
7. James McAvoy uses Jedi mind tricks on an unsuspecting Oliver Platt. DE–LITEFUL!
Have you seen the movie yet? What did you think?