With just a week until my 30th birthday, it’s high time to check in on the official 30 by 30 list. SPOILER ALERT! I’m not going to finish it all. But, you know what? That’s okay. I’ve pushed myself to do more things than I would have done without this list. Without further ado … here’s the most recent update to the list.
- Complete the Nashville Rock and Roll ½ Marathon – so this didn’t happen! And when I finished the 5K on the 4th of July, I thought I was crazy for ever thinking of doing a half marathon. But I did finish a road race, and I’m going to begin training for another soon. It’s much more fun than I thought.
- Write 2 novels – Um … nope. Didn’t even come close. 🙂
- Read all of Jane Austen’s Books – Not so much. But I have some insights that I’ll share with you all later this week.
- Go to an NFL game – As previously stated, the game went out the window due to a work-related trip, and I went to see Garth Brooks instead.
- Save $1500 toward a trip to Scotland/Ireland – Well … all of my travel savings are going toward another trip to Prince Edward Island! This one with my mom and my sister. Pictures to come in the next month or so.
- Finish Caleb’s fire truck cross stitch – my poor nephew still doesn’t have a cross stitch for his nursery, even if he is 14 months old. Some day … maybe …
- Visit 3 Civil War battlefields – Done! Carnton, Carter House, and Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga, TN. Amazing history!
- See Brandon Heath in concert – Yuppers!
- Visit Boone Hall in South Carolina (Mount Royal Plantation) – Nope. But maybe next year.
- Donate $1000 to World Vision for Micro-loans – There ended up being some needs closer to home this year, but I still really love this program and will make a plan for next year.
- Get a contract for a 3-book deal – I haven’t given up hope yet. 🙂 I have a week to hear back about a 3-book series proposal that I sent to my editor 2 months ago. Pray hard for me, if you think of it.
- Find a place to serve at my new church – I didn’t get to this. And I’m full of excuses as to why, but I’m not giving up on it.
- Take a cooking class at Whole Foods – I missed the Whole Foods classes, but I have signed up for a cupcake decorating class on July 24th! I’ll post pictures of my masterpieces … erm … cakewrecks.
- Give away 20 of the books on my shelves – Done!
- Buy flowers for a friend for no reason – Why have I not done this? It’s so easy! I’ll do that this week.
- Eat something with mushrooms – Pizza with mushrooms eaten. Check and check.
- See a show at TPAC – Katie and I saw Dave Barnes there at Christmas! He was wondefully funny!
- Read the Bible in a Year – Yet again, I haven’t managed to do this, but I read more than I would have if I didn’t have this goal. I made it through several books including Ruth, Luke, and Genesis.
- Take an adult beginner dance class – Hmm … I didn’t do this … next year?
- Visit the Harry Potter theme park at Universal Studios in Orlando – I’m so sad that I didn’t make it there this year. 🙁 My friend Jess and I had plans to go but they just work out. Definitely on next year’s to do list!
- Catch up on the TV show Chuck – Yay! I love Chuck and totally caught up on all the dvds that are out so far. I wasn’t disappointed. 🙂
- Volunteer at least 10 hours at a local food bank/shelter – I found my volunteer hours donated to other places than a food bank and shelter but between being a fairy godmother and other activities, I had a great time volunteering this year.
- Read a #1 New York Times Bestseller when it’s #1 – Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo
- Go a week without eating out – Done!
- Host a dinner party for at least 4 friends – Yes! Had a great dinner party for my friend Heather’s poetry book release.
- Write a Christmas short story – It’s coming out in 6 weeks. More details to come!
- Drop 2 dress sizes – Not quite. Actually not even a little. 🙂 But the training for the road races sure makes me feel good. So I’ll keep at that.
- Sing karaoke in public – I could squeak that in this week. Right?
- Drink only water for 2 weeks straight – Hmm … I kept forgetting about this one, and now it’s too late.
- Vacation on Prince Edward Island – Done and nearly done a second time! 🙂
By my count, I’ve completed 17 of the items on my list (or a comparable item) in the last 51 weeks. And I think I can complete at least 1 or 2 more this week. Not too shabby. 🙂 I’ve definitely done some things this year that I wouldn’t have without this list. But I think my next list will include a few less things that require travel or money. Vacation time and spare change is hard to come by these days.
What do you think should be on my next list?
One thought on “30 by 30 … nearly there!”
You go girl! So your birthday is 7/25? We need to go see JJ Feild and Richard Armitage in Captain America to celebrate. 🙂